On Saturday my dad and I took the van down to move in. My sister, Marsha, and my nieces came up (they live 45 minutes southwest) to help. We went back home Saturday evening, I had a tradition Christmas Break movie night with my girls from HS! So I planned on taking my car down and moving in on Sunday... then the snow came.
The snow covered highway driving home from movie night on Saturday night.
I left around 5 p.m. Sunday afternoon to come down to Bolivar, waiting for the roads to clear, they still weren't awesome as I was only going around 40 mph, when my sister called me. When I told her I was on my way she asked how far I was... I was only about 10 miles from home. She told me to turn back around and go home because Fair Play was cancelled tomorrow (Monday).
I hardly could believe my ears, in college the words snow day are about as useless as throwing pennies in a wishing well... unless of course you're there when Missouri gets 16 inches of snow... which happened my freshman year - lucky me!
But I'll get to the stories that happened after Sunday in later posts... here are pictures of moving and my apartment!
Dad and Marsha carrying in my mattress.
The van was pretty packed. My mattress laid across the very top opening, but they got it out before I got the camera out!
We pretty much used every nook and cranny the van had!
My niece, Kaelynn, was super excited to help! Well... maybe not super excited... I told her to smile and this is the face I got! It was a "Why am I carrying your stuff while you're taking pictures, Aunt Cheryl?" face! :)
Both of my nieces, Kallie and Kaelynn, carrying in my headboard... Kaelynn was "beeping" to warn people she was backing up the entire way to my apartment!
My apartment is a single bedroom. I have a living room, little kitchen, bedroom and little bathroom. When you come through the front door you'll see this part of my living, looks a whole lot like an office, room! Luckily for you with my snow days I completely moved in, hard for me to believe I've 'lived' here for just over 72 hours! Kitchen starts there to the right with the fridge.
Turning back around and looking into my little studio kitchen. Yes, the entire apartment is wood panelled... and I kind of like it... which is good because I'm living here but also freaks me out a little because it's kind of a weird thing to like. My grandma didn't have a wood panelled basement but it kind of makes me feel like I'm living in a grandma's basement. It's cozy.
When we got here on Saturday, I realized the apartment didn't come with a microwave so when mom came down with me on Monday I got a little bonus Christmas present of the microwave and this utility stand to put it on! You know you're growing up when you get excited to get the likes of a vacuum and microwave for Christmas! I put together the stand, picked up the microwave and thought "Oh no, it's not going to fit!" As you can see there isn't a 1/4" to spare! But it fit!
My little stove. The round thing on the counter is actually a countertop dishwasher underneath... from what I hear they don't work very well. Currently, mine's working wonderfully as a pot and pan cabinet! I have no plans to use it as a dishwasher from what I know about centrifugal force water pulls and stays on the outside... not going through my dishes!
The sink area. A very hopping place in my apartment.
My friend, Dara, gave me this for our 'Secret Santa' gift last year at Christmas. She said it reminded her of me. I love quotes. She love quotes. I now love this quote. So much so, it's now above my sink. Everyone should live by this quote.
A very cool thing for a small kitchen to have -built in shelves from floor to ceiling! Very, very handy!
Turn to your right and you enter the 'master' bedroom! :)
Straight shot into my bedroom. PS if you didn't know... hanging sunglasses on push pins in a corkboard is about the perfect way to store them. If there's a corkboard on your door, even better!
This is the sign in my bathroom... It makes me smile everyday so I thought I'd share for all to enjoy! Thank you to Jordan for getting me such a sweet sign for my birthday last year!
That's the grand tour. It's smaller, it's not the Ritz but it's my own 'official' place. I've never lived by myself before, it's a learning experience.
Don't misunderstand me, I would have never of chosen to live by myself during college, but I've realized 10 symptoms of roommate routine include:
10. You turn around from your desk and for the first time there isn't a bed behind you.
9. You feel impowered to decide where to put things in the kitchen instead of piling it all inside your two cabinets.
8. You say something outloud before realizing no one's there to hear you.
7. You turn off the radio and there really is just silence. So you turn the radio back on...quickly.
6. You don't just double, but triple check that you have your keys, because no one's there to bail you out.
5. You finish the milk and realize every time is now your turn.
4. When you're tired of being alone in your bedroom, going into the living room doesn't help.
3. You feel guilty for putting things on every shelf in the fridge.
2. Thinking about getting the 3 medium pizzas for $5 each deal is no longer a reasonable idea.
1. Misplacing your phone is a 30 minute search instead of yelling upstairs "Hey can you call my phone?"

Dear woman,
ReplyDelete(Yes I am stalking your life) Thanks for the sweet pics! I especially dig the wood panelled look : ) Miss you and stay warm today!!
~~Jen Jen