Week Two
First all very sorry I didn't blog!!! I was going to write this long drawn out thing telling you all about last week but truth be told I just don't have time for that! Oh and I've forgotten what happen which days so I'm going to update you quick, fast and in a hurry about last week and then get back on track with this one!
Last week started out awkward. Of course it was my second day in the classroom so it's to be expected right?!? But luckily for me the days just got better as the week progressed and we got to know each other. I've definitely decided I'm one of a kind...but most of you probably had that figured out by now huh? ;) I figured out how to evaluate welds and cuts to give proper feedback, still an idiot when it comes to electricity. But now that's just a joke between me and the freshman.
I told one girl sorry I don't know anything about electricity to tell you how you wire that... she goes "That's ok I don't plan on becoming an electrician either.... I don't want to get shocked!" Me:"Well most living electricians turn off the electricity before touching wires to avoid that whole getting shocked business." Laughter. Welcome to the Ficken Classroom.
Record Books... All week long. My brain dusted off that shelf quick fast and in a hurry!
Tuesday night - District Ag Teachers Meeting. Saw the lovely Ashley Noblitt, she taught me the art of sitting in the back ;) Also saw my friends who sadly went to MSU, no one knows why (hehe), who are student teaching in SW District. Have I mentioned I'm the only MU student teacher down here! That's right I'm teaching them how it's done!
Thursday afternoon - First chapter FFA meeting in almost 4 years. It just warms up the heart!
Friday came and it was time to teach my first full lesson - Introduction to Grassland Management. I was good... until five minutes before when the butterflies started fluttering. So the beginning was rough but the end was nice and easy (reverse of Proud Mary, haha). Not too bad for first lesson. But not awesome either. Next hour two junior girls drew mustaches on masking tape and put them in the proper place on their face and then stood behind me for a good 2 minutes before I was done helping someone, just to see my reaction. My reaction? I died... from laughter. It was two girls I had spent all week trying to break through to and I took this as a very good sign - right?
Whoever said living by yourself was a blessing in disguise... that's a negative. It is not fun. I miss my roommates. I miss seeing friends. I miss skipping classes.
Miss Ficken's Quotes from Week One
"Let's keep it PG rated while in school, thank you!"
"I don't know."
"There had better be a good reason I don't hear welders going!"
"Let me ask Mr. Lightfoot."
"I have a name and it is not 'that girl' it is Miss Ficken. Ficken with an I."
"I don't know."
"Do not throw hair on the floor. If it falls out naturally onto the floor that's one thing... To have it in your hand, discussing that you are sure losing a lot of hair, then you proceed to drop the handful of hair onto the floor, is quite another. If it's in your hand, there's a trash can right there. Put it in the trash, not on the floor."
"Let me ask Mr. Lightfoot."
"Zach, are you welding? Because I sure haven't seen any metal you've welded in the last 10 minutes!"
"I don't know."
"No, you're not done with your record book."
"Name, grade, date go on top of the page, thank you."
"Let me ask Mr. Lightfoot."
"Everyone is weird and annoying in their own way." (Kid Responds) "No, just because you believe he is, is not reason to steal his Mountain Dew. We do not take other people's stuff."
"I don't know."
"This will probably come as a surprise to you... but I'm a farm management nerd."
See a theme? Yeah me too!
Thought of the Week (Didn't think I'd leave you without one, did you?)
Confidence. No one is going to believe in you one ounce more than you believe in yourself. Confidence is my biggest strength and my biggest weakness. Seriously. Confidence to not only do, but dare to be different. Confidence to be comfortable to wear my own skin today and to walk in my shoes again tomorrow. Confidence that I am someone worthy. I do make a difference. I am who I am supposed to be and liked because I am that person. I stand up for the right when majority accepts the wrong. To be a better person and hold others to the same standards. It is hard. It is necessary. It is a battle. It's Confidence.
Andrew {5 Years}
9 years ago

You are a confident, wonderful person, Cheryl! Great stories and quotes. Living by yourself is still great, but I have had 14 roommates in my life so I might be coming from a different place:). It is more fun when you live in a town like Columbia where I already know lots of people! It will get better! Thank goodness you have internet:).
ReplyDelete